Re: English Electric car body

Chris Stratton wrote:

> RRiebe2552 <rriebe2552@aol.com> wrote in message
> 19991012140734.00715.00000215@ng-fq1.aol.com">news:19991012140734.00715.00000215@ng-fq1.aol.com...
> >      I have an old book on Railways of the world, in it, it shows an EE
> > locomotive which is basically similar to the Alco PA.
> >      Were any preserved and are there any Railway pages which have more
> > pictures and information about these locomotives?
> >      I am in the US but I find the early EE carbody locomotive styles very
> > interesting and actually just as good looking as anything made in the US.
> >      I read that EE quit making locomotive under the EE name in 1976. Does
> the
> > spinoff company (GE of Australia still make locomotives?)
> >      Thank you and have a good day.
> >                                                    Bob Riebe
> That would most likely be the South Australian Railways 900 class, have a
> look at http://www.railpage.org.au/loco/anr/900.html   .They were built by
> the SAR using components imported from EE in the UK.
> The other EE loco with a full carbody was the Queensland Railways 1200
> class, but these were a 3' 6" gauge loco and smaller, these can be found at
> http://www.railpage.org.au/loco/qr/1200.html
> All other EE locos in Australia were hood locos apart from the QR 1250 class
> which had a full width cab as on the 1200 class but a hood body.
> Goninan in Newcastle has the GE licence in Australia.

Just to confuse everybody, there are actually *two* "General Electrics".
There is the American GE, for whom Goninan is the licence-holder, and there is
the British/European GEC, now partnered with Alsthom.
There was also the "Australian General Electric" (right name?) - who took over
from EE Australia. AGE built QR's 2350 class and TasRail's ZA class, using EE
engines etc. They had no relation to the American GE; I'm not sure if they had
any relationship with GEC.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Land Titles Automation Project - Beveridge & Williams, Melbourne