Re: English Electric car body

RRiebe2552 <rriebe2552@aol.com> wrote in message
19991012140734.00715.00000215@ng-fq1.aol.com">news:19991012140734.00715.00000215@ng-fq1.aol.com...
>      I have an old book on Railways of the world, in it, it shows an EE
> locomotive which is basically similar to the Alco PA.
>      Were any preserved and are there any Railway pages which have more
> pictures and information about these locomotives?
>      I am in the US but I find the early EE carbody locomotive styles very
> interesting and actually just as good looking as anything made in the US.
>      I read that EE quit making locomotive under the EE name in 1976. Does
the
> spinoff company (GE of Australia still make locomotives?)
>      Thank you and have a good day.
>                                                    Bob Riebe
That would most likely be the South Australian Railways 900 class, have a
look at http://www.railpage.org.au/loco/anr/900.html   .They were built by
the SAR using components imported from EE in the UK.
The other EE loco with a full carbody was the Queensland Railways 1200
class, but these were a 3' 6" gauge loco and smaller, these can be found at
http://www.railpage.org.au/loco/qr/1200.html
All other EE locos in Australia were hood locos apart from the QR 1250 class
which had a full width cab as on the 1200 class but a hood body.
Goninan in Newcastle has the GE licence in Australia.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton