Re: BHP downsizing - How will it effect ral?

"Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au>
wrote:

> I did mean to post something about this yesterday but forgot. The official
> story that we have been given is that nothing more will be closed, they will
> either sell plants or try to find partners for joint ventures. What they
> want to keep is Port Kembla Steelworks (except for the Tin Mill) and Coated
> Steel Australia.
> CSA comprises Springhill, CRM and Westernport plants plus the State Service
> Centres located at Chullora (Syd), Acacia Ridge (Bris), Braeside and
> Sunshine (Melb), Wingfield (Adel), and Myaree (Perth).
> CSA's main products are coils of Colorbond, Galvabond and Zincalume from the
> main plants. These coils can then be slit and/or rollformed at the Service
> Centres or by other customers. Some sheet product is made by the majority is
> coil.
> This does mean that BHP won't be making rails any more.

BHP apparently intend to sell Whyalla as a going
concern, it is the only long products mill in Australia
and as you would be aware, produces head hardened rail.
Somebody will buy it for sure, maybe with luck an
Australian company like Smorgon Steel.?

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>