Re: BHP downsizing - How will it effect ral?

< Tell > <telljb@OZozemail.com.au> wrote in message
GwX=N6VQkGH5ulFKm9y5M4jbt4ky@4ax.com">news:GwX=N6VQkGH5ulFKm9y5M4jbt4ky@4ax.com...
> "Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> > I did mean to post something about this yesterday but forgot. The
official
> > story that we have been given is that nothing more will be closed, they
will
> > either sell plants or try to find partners for joint ventures. What they
> > want to keep is Port Kembla Steelworks (except for the Tin Mill) and
Coated
> > Steel Australia.
> > CSA comprises Springhill, CRM and Westernport plants plus the State
Service
> > Centres located at Chullora (Syd), Acacia Ridge (Bris), Braeside and
> > Sunshine (Melb), Wingfield (Adel), and Myaree (Perth).
> > CSA's main products are coils of Colorbond, Galvabond and Zincalume from
the
> > main plants. These coils can then be slit and/or rollformed at the
Service
> > Centres or by other customers. Some sheet product is made by the
majority is
> > coil.
> > This does mean that BHP won't be making rails any more.
>

> BHP apparently intend to sell Whyalla as a going
> concern, it is the only long products mill in Australia
> and as you would be aware, produces head hardened rail.
> Somebody will buy it for sure, maybe with luck an
> Australian company like Smorgon Steel.?
>
> ----Terry Burton
> Alice Springs NT
> << remove OZ for Email reply.>>

I would assume it would have abig impact on NRC's traffic, as the need to
ship between Whyalla & Pt Kembla or Long Island would be nil.

Having said that I guess whoever buys Whyalla would probably use rail to
ship out Steel Products, if NRC has got one thing right it seems to be Steel
Link, (& TrailerRail).

Bob.