Re: BHP downsizing - How will it effect ral?

Steven Hurst <hurste@primus.com.au> wrote in message
939254843.368941@diddley.primus.com.au">news:939254843.368941@diddley.primus.com.au...
> Hi all,
>         Last night on the late news (ch7) I noticed that BHP are selling
off
> almost everything (or just everything) except their steel sheet
operations.
> This means that Westernport operations (Stony Point line Melb.) are safe
for
> now (They make sheets there - right!?), but what about trains in other
> states - I noted 2 in NSW were effected, and 1 in S.A.
>
> ALSO does this mean that they (BHP) won't be making RAILS any more?!?
>
> regards,
>
> Steven Hurst
> Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I did mean to post something about this yesterday but forgot. The official
story that we have been given is that nothing more will be closed, they will
either sell plants or try to find partners for joint ventures. What they
want to keep is Port Kembla Steelworks (except for the Tin Mill) and Coated
Steel Australia.
CSA comprises Springhill, CRM and Westernport plants plus the State Service
Centres located at Chullora (Syd), Acacia Ridge (Bris), Braeside and
Sunshine (Melb), Wingfield (Adel), and Myaree (Perth).
CSA's main products are coils of Colorbond, Galvabond and Zincalume from the
main plants. These coils can then be slit and/or rollformed at the Service
Centres or by other customers. Some sheet product is made by the majority is
coil.
This does mean that BHP won't be making rails any more.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton