Re: BK cars

    I prefer the BS and BRS cars to the BKs. Although you can't open the
windows, the ride is better, the windows are much bigger and usually cleaner
and the seats are more comfortable. With the BK cars on longer trips the smell
from the toilet drifts throughout the carriage, the windows open from the top,
and they are really noisy (you feel like you're in a tin can). I prefer the VR
non-airconditioned wooden cars to the VR airconditioned cars but the VR
airconditioned cars are better than the BKs.

    I would like to see more tours with the VR wooden cars. Steamrail has a
huge fleet of E and W cars but most of their enthusiast tours this year have
used (or will use) the K and S cars. Although it is nice to have a high speed
run every now and then, the wooden cars are much better for enthusiast tours.
They are more comfortable, they ride better than the BKs, the windows are
easier to see out of and the wooden cars don't smell like the Werribee sewage
farm! Who really cares about having three hours in Echuca? I am not booking on
this tour because I have already gone on the ARHS/ARE one earlier this year in
the wooden cars from SRHC. If Steamrail was using the wooden cars I probably
would have booked because I haven't been on a Steamrail trip all year. I
really think that Steamrail should only use the high speed cars where it is
really needed (ie: the Oaklands tour) and use the wooden cars on other tours.
As for the ARHS tours, they have been more interesting this year and this is
why I have booked on the ARHS tours, even though they are using the BK and S
cars most of the time.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: