Re: Passenger train luxuries, conveniences, inconveniences and comforts and human stupidity [Was: Re: Screens savers on message boards?]

Michael <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E5392773telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E5392773telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...

> Leg room wasn't really a problem with me. The only nitpick I do have
> about it, and it's only a minor one, the bottom part of the seat feels
> like it's leaning forward a little bit, the very thing that i hate about
> the seats on the hitachis. The rest of the seat really makes up for it
> though. Lets swap the seats on your G's for the seats on our Hitachis eh?
> :)

Yeah - the matter of seating really is a matter of personal preference. I
quite like the non-reversible seating on T sets - you do not have to rub
knees with any of the ferals that you find on my line (Penrith) - and facing
backwards does not worry me.

> As for people not knowing how to use a door, make them learn. Leave the
> doors closed until they are clued up enough to open them using the
> button. Surely it can't be that hard can it? It's not like using a
> computer, is it? Some people, you mention the word "computer" and their
> brain shuts down, they start drooling and muttering "need internet, have
> right not to learn anything".

All it is is a management decision by CityRail - they decided that people
had never had to press a button before on these sorts of trains, so they
will not do it now, and people will be left behind at their stations and
start causing trouble.

They managed to educate Xplorer passengers, so why not G-set passengers? It
will take a *bit* of work at first (PA announcements at *every* station) but
only for a little while. They will soon learn.

> Maybe you Sydney people have been spoiled too much for a while, come down
> to Melbourne for a while, you don't even have a button to press to open
> the door. Travel a Hitachi and you almost need to be a bodybuilder to
> open some of them doors!

I quite like it - means I do not have to go to the gym when in Melbourne in
January (I still pay my $41 a month while away though :-( )

> To add salt to the wound however, people will become more stupid before
> they become smarter. Flinders Street being a perfect example. The
> destination of the train is on the monitors, on the airport flipper
> boards in the concourse (well now it's stairs/escalators), and the
> destination 99% of the time is on the desto up front of the train. At
> lease once a week I get very clever people coming up to me and asking
> where this train is going. These days I answer with, "it's up there on
> the monitor" and point to the monitor".

Tell them something wrong - put them on a Frankston train if they are going
to Werribee (or similiar) - they will soon learn.

DaveP