Re: [VIC] headboards, nameplates and non authentic liveries. (was: [VIC] Steamrail headboard)

I'm going to wade in just briefly and give my 2c worth as a Steamrail
volunteer (beyond that I'm not going to get involved in an arguement, they
can't be won or lost).
I remember when we ran the last train to Stratford many years ago and as a
gesture of goodwill, took off the headboard from the loco so fans could get
the shots. The derision at the headboard, steamrail and general cheers and
carrying on really pissed off quite a few volunteers that day. You can thank
the people there that day largely for the current policy of Steamrail to
leave the headboard on regardless. Most volunteers thought that the
organisation that has restored as much equipment as Steamrail that they gave
their time to deserved better than that kind of attitude, so if you f&^%*$
us then we'll f*^%$ you.
Personally I'd like to see the headboard come off at more photostops, but
generally left on while running. I think that if the passengers have paid
their fare, especially on the longer trips, they deserve to get the shots
without the headboard occasionally.
Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne