Re: multi-glazed windows on Tangaras and other trains.

Jane Campbell wrote:

> Speaking of making the air-conditioning more efficient.  I was in Hornsby
> Sheds a couple of afternoons ago (perhaps Monday when it was really hot?)
> and an air-conditioning inspector was checking the performance of the
> air-conditioning on the train.  He had a laptop with some leads attached to
> the unit and it did some testing and off he went.  He worked his way to the
> back of the train and I asked him to fix the air-conditioning in my cab
> because it was obviously defective (I was a sweating mess and there was no
> circulating air to be found anywhere).  He plugged in his computer outside
> my door and then professed that there was in fact no problem with the
> air-conditioning and that it was working fine.  I just rolled my eyes and he
> left.  I find it interesting to note also, that on that run I did (a Hornsby
> circle) I had a lady come and complain about the heat in the carriage.

Sounds like an engineer! :-)  Some of the A/C units blow hot air, while the
other end of the car tries to cool the carriage.  When that happens, I isolate
the defective A/C, which makes the good one operate in fast fans.  You then
report it to defects, and 6 months later it is still isolated.  If the A/C was
defective in your cab at Hornsby sheds, I would have told them that it was unfit
for service and demanded another train that worked.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au