Re: Melbourne Double deckers

Roderick Smith wrote:

> I have tried lots of semi-automated systems: Melbourne's comes out poorly
> on equipment design and system design.
>
> Machines won't accept all money and won't sell all ticket types.
> Multiple purchases are not possible.
> There are barriers at some locations and not at others.
> There is the unnecessary requirement for multiple revalidations.
>
> Most of the arguments about Metcard are from people too intelligent to
> accept a shoddy system.

I visited Melbounre last Saturday night.  I decided to go for a trip to St Kilda
and back.  Needing only a 2 hour ticket, I caught the first tram at Spencer
Street to Flinders St purchasing a Zone 1 2 hour ticket.  There was a large sign
stating that the ticket had already been validated.  I caught a 16 to St Kilda
which was fairly full, but I only saw 2 people (myself excluded) revalidate.  I
then caught a 96 back to Spencer Street which filled up completely, but only saw
three others validate.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au