Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

Graeme <gvrail@thatsent.com.au> wrote in message
3826ca80$0$5359@motown.iinet.net.au">news:3826ca80$0$5359@motown.iinet.net.au...
> Very sad that sort of response.  Had we not done the things we did in
Perth
> such as driver only operation then we would have had a busway network by
> now.  It's not about economic rationalism, it's about survival and
> delivering quality transport services cost effectively.  Driver only
> operation has worked successfully all over the world and why there should
be
> resistance to establishing it in Sydney is beyond me unless you live in
the
> dinosaur age and think that the taxpayer should just go on incurring the
> horrific debts that inefficiently run public utilities can amass that at
the
> end of the day simply end up being axed anyway!!!
>
> --

Yep, your an economical rationalist and I'm sure John Howard and Peter Reith
would be proud of you!
By the sounds of it you have no idea how complex the rail system is in
Sydney. Sure, there would be ways of instigating DDO here but at this time
we are seeing the unnecessary axing of so many station staff jobs so the
only staff member a passenger sees when on a platform now is the guard. This
applies on junction stations and other major stations where every train
arriving has a different stopping pattern and destination. Not only this but
the helping of little old ladies, blind people etc etc etc on and off trains
at under staffed stations. The majority of guards in Sydney provide a
terrific service to the travelling public ( of course there are those who
don't unfortunately, who need to be weeded out for the sake of efficiency
and service). Train crewing in Sydney is quite efficient and there
negotiations under way to make it even more so.
I don't want to sound abrupt to you but I'm one of those people who are
saddened by the reduction of "people" contact in our everyday lives due to
new technology. Call me strange if you like but I even prefer to override
the computerised voice prompts when I ring a lot of companies because I
would much prefer to conduct business with a fellow human being than a
computer!

Regards
John.