Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

Hi Graeme,

Graeme <gvrail@thatsent.com.au> wrote in message
3826ca80$0$5359@motown.iinet.net.au">news:3826ca80$0$5359@motown.iinet.net.au...
> Very sad that sort of response.  Had we not done the things we did in
Perth
> such as driver only operation then we would have had a busway network by
> now.  It's not about economic rationalism, it's about survival and
> delivering quality transport services cost effectively.  Driver only
> operation has worked successfully all over the world and why there should
be
> resistance to establishing it in Sydney is beyond me unless you live in
the
> dinosaur age and think that the taxpayer should just go on incurring the
> horrific debts that inefficiently run public utilities can amass that at
the
> end of the day simply end up being axed anyway!!!

That is a bit harsh, isn't it? Perth is a totally different system to
Sydney - Sydney carries more people in a day that Perth does in a month. The
trains are much greater, the system is much larger, the rolling stock is
older, there are trains to multiple destinations off the one platform (hence
crowds stay on the platform rather than joining the train - this can block
views).

I am not saying that DOO will not work in Sydney, just that you cannot apply
a solution from one city directly onto another city. The conditions are
different and you need to apply different solutions.

Dave