Re: Guards to Drive During Olympics?

Kingpin <kingpin1@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
UrEkOFY9NY5FzZ7da1K4bbNStXyN@4ax.com">news:UrEkOFY9NY5FzZ7da1K4bbNStXyN@4ax.com...

> 209 km doesn't seem a great amount, especially if you compare it to a cab
driver
> who would often do 4-500 km in a (12 hour) shift.  On an average shift,
how many
> return runs would a train driver do?

Taking Penrith as an example. It is about 55km from Central, and takes 1
hour 15 (approx.) on the skip-stop. Allowing 15 mins turnaround at Penrith,
that is almost 3 hours for 110km. Factor in the crib break and almost up to
3.5 hours. Another round trip to Penrith and we are up to 7.5 hours for
220km. Not all that hard to do.

Granted, not all shifts (if ANY) provide for two out and backs to Penrith,
and not all runs are as long as Penrith. But it is an example of how easy it
is to rack up the hours over what seems to be a relatively short distance.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au