Re: Guards to Drive During Olympics?

In <UrEkOFY9NY5FzZ7da1K4bbNStXyN@4ax.com> Kingpin <kingpin1@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>'Twas a dark and stormy night on 6 Nov 1999 09:17:04 +1100 as
>craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick) took time out from the neverending quest to
>rid the world of grues and wrote:
>
>> As for mileage, we can run up to 209 km's per shift before an allowance
>> becomes payable for excess km's. About 10 percent of all suburban ETR
>> diagrams have us running marginally over 209 km's per shift, but generally
>> nothing more than 215.

>209 km doesn't seem a great amount, especially if you compare it to a cab driver
>who would often do 4-500 km in a (12 hour) shift.  On an average shift, how many
>return runs would a train driver do?

It varies widely between diagrams.. Some shifts have us spending a large
ammount of time 'on track', some don't. Some have us doing lots of km's, and
some don't.

However since you've made the comparison between taxis and suburban trains,
it's fairly hard to create an accurate analogy which fits both. Trains and
cabs are completely different operationally.

With taxis you always get people to talk to. On trains we don't. You don't
have to worry about how to stop hundreds of tonnes of rolling metal and
people when something requires an emergency stop in adverse conditions. We
do. You don't have to get out of your warm, comfy seat all the time. We do,
and the crew compartments are rarely warm and comfy. Etc....

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport