Re: Guards to Drive During Olympics?

In <800ll3$2qe$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Jane Campbell" <janecampbell@optusnet.com.au> writes:

>Maybe it should have read
>Some of the best ETR drivers are ex-Guards.  I certainly agree.\

I agree to, but it also depends how long these people have been guards, and
how intuitive they are at picking up knowledge from the experience they gain
during the time they are guards.

Regardless of whether new drivers come from outside or inside the railway
industry, there are always going to be people who just can't 'get with the
program' and don't make very good drivers, but drawing from within
operational areas such as station staff, guards, etc. tends to result in a
much higher proportion of applicants for driver positions being suited to
and better adapting to the job than if new intakes come purely from outside
the railway industry.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport