Re: Freight Victoria..POWER??

Thanks for that.  Just upgrading/re-engineering existing 2,200HP units to
3,000 increases system haulage capacity significantly without going the
whole hog to new power.  This means you could even contemplate doing the
same with NSW Class 422's.  However another option is not to re-engine, but
replace Roots Blowers on EMD 645 series engines with turbos, and you get a
3,000HP unit.

I think the coming couple of years are going to be interesting, but the big
challenge is investment in upgrading trackage to increase train speeds,
tonnage and size!!!

--
Graeme Vellacott
PO Box 322
Rod <comtrain@mpx.com.au> wrote in message
803qul$kl5$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:803qul$kl5$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> This thread has developed a few intersting scenarios
>  ie. WAGR L Class and AN EL's
> Future Loco needs will be 3000 hp or more. The First thing that FV did was
> combine as many trains as possible and start running 'big'tonnages!
> Thus as an example Grain trains ex Oaklands now combine with the under
> utilised Wodonga trains at Benalla, and pick up excess Tocumwal loadings
ex
> Seymour. 9358 departs Wodonga daily with 215 tonnes and grows to 2500
tonnes
> at Benalla and over 3000 tonnes at Seymour.
> Stage 2 was to go out and get "New Business" The plan is to double
tonnages
> again. At Wodonga we see the return of Super Trains to Pivot , and in
season
> that can build this train up 1540 tonnes a day! A new Rail Hub at
> Wangarratta should come on liune in 2001.
> Ways to go.....Well a recent memo to Newport regarding the fitting of a
> toilet to X49, reads that the modification must make alowances for the
> alterations to the bodywork required by the fitting of 3000 hp engines.
> Reference made to plans already drawn up. Eastern States loading gauge
> limits the use of imported second hand power, but a second hand SD40,
could
> be stripped and the good bits transplanted into a X Class body would be a
> easy way out!
> Another would be to contract with National to take over the N Class
> Locomotives as the New
> Rail Motors come on line in late 2000. They will all be in need of major
> exams then, so strip out the HEP and add 3500hp, and another 22+
Locomotives