Re: Melbourne Double deckers

Bill Bolton said in message <9xgiOFfo6jYi4SH4uN6ew4WhwyqS@4ax.com>, I
therefore quote:

>So, line modifications have been done it the past when it was thought
>desirable to have new rolling stock operate everywhere on the network.
>
>That seems to put that argument against DD stock to rest.

Bill,

Not all lines are modified to suit the DD, only the Ringwood lines, to run
with any passenger capacity.

Empty movemetns can be made on the Newport line (To Newport only) and the
Pakenham line, at low speed while passing the many unmodified stations. I
also believe that low speed is required under Toorak Road, due to very low
clearance.

Imagine how much money it will cost to recut the tunnels between Jolimont
and West Richmond, and imagine how much money it will cost to recut the
tunnel beyond Heidelberg, along with the months of inconvenience the
passengers will suffer as a result.

I used to be a supporter of extra DD stock, but i guess that was for
amusement/gunzel value only. As Vaughan pointed out, what we need is extra
train services, even if we can't run all of them via the city loop.

I personally, would like to see less trains use the City Loop, even
maintaining it's current capacity, but giving people the option of a
through service. The city loop should also be turned back around in the
morning/afternoon, which i guess eliminates the need of more standard
through services. Flinders Street undoubtedly takes the most passengers
each day, you just have to stand on Platform 2+3 and 4+5 to see that. Why
should most passengers have to be subject to 10 minutes extra on their
trip?

As people have pointed out, one 3 car set every 2 minutes during peak is
better than one 6 car set every 5 mintes during peak. Offpeak frequency
should also be addressed as well.

Regards
Michael.

--
Michael Kurkowski
Email: mk@netstra.com.au

What is the point of having quotes at the end of your .sig?