Re: Death by Train (was:- Someone killed in Melbourne Loop this morning?)

>When someone wants to kill them selves there is no point trying to stop
them.  I feel
>sorry for the people thats have to put up with it (like train drivers) but
things
>like an average of 1 person jump of the West Gate Bridge each day.  About
20-30 people
>are killed each year by trains.  Most train deaths are not accidents.
>
>It is not the drivers fault when someone decides to do this, there is
nothing they can
>do.  I was with a sprinter driver one day and there were some people
playing chicken
>with the train, he had his hand on the brake but said there is no point
putting on the
>brake until you hit them.  Either way if they get out the way then you keep
going, if
>you try to stop you wont stop in time, (and they could still get out the
way) or if they
>are in the way you will hit them and nothing will stop the train in time.

I share a house with a psych nurse and she says that although she does her
best to try to prevent it, if someone really wants to kill themselves,
they'll do it one way or another.

She had a patient who jumped off the Westgate bridge and survived, not long
later they did the same again and died.

She always gets distressed when someone tries or actually does end their
life.

I agree with all the sentiments expressed so far, suicide is a selfish act
which affects those around the person profoundly and my sympathies are with
those who have to relive something they had no control over.