Re: Death by Train (was:- Someone killed in Melbourne Loop this morning?)

When someone wants to kill them selves there is no point trying to stop them.  I feel
sorry for the people thats have to put up with it (like train drivers) but things
like an average of 1 person jump of the West Gate Bridge each day.  About 20-30 people
are killed each year by trains.  Most train deaths are not accidents.

It is not the drivers fault when someone decides to do this, there is nothing they can
do.  I was with a sprinter driver one day and there were some people playing chicken
with the train, he had his hand on the brake but said there is no point putting on the
brake until you hit them.  Either way if they get out the way then you keep going, if
you try to stop you wont stop in time, (and they could still get out the way) or if they
are in the way you will hit them and nothing will stop the train in time.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord