Re: Melton - Bacchus Marsh close revisited.

David Langley wrote

>The signals at Manor, Gheringhap, Wingeel, Berrybank, Vite Vite and
>Tatyoon Loops are also point indicators are they not. I have heard that
>the drivers refer to them as home signals but as you mention above, they
>do not give right of way only indicate that the road is set and locked.
>What happened to the requests to have distant signals provided?

Distant signals are badly needed for these loops as without them you can never
get main line running speeds , at least when approaching the loops as there is
no guarantee that even if you have an authority the arrival home signal /
point indicator, whatever it is will be clear, ie the signals / indicators
arnt in anyway related to the issuing of the orders.
The difficulty possibly in the provison of distant signals , is the stupid
rules , in that they would really not be distant signals , but arrival signal
/ point indicator repeaters.
In any other form of Safe working (btw IMHO ASW is not safeworking but simply
train control,(theres nothing safe about it.) a distant signal indicates
amongst other things that you can expect a clear run thru the loop and out the
other end.
Since we dont have departure homes , but rely totally on the authorities , and
the signal indications arnt in anyway related to the authorities , we need
some methodology to clear the distants when trains are approaching , which
means a leading track cct some 2 -3 kms in front of the distant.
The distant would need to be 2-3 kms out from the loop itself.
This means track circuiting the single line sections some 4 to 6 kms out from
each side of each loop.
We are very slowly adding all the bits needed for CTC , so why not just bite
the bullet.

MD