Re: Melton - Bacchus Marsh close revisited.

I have had a driver of a sprinter run to the other end grap his bag and
back while I was sitting up the front and the train was doing 130km/h

I think it is better to look down at the unit then have to stop and get
the next order.

Also the system is ASW if you are in Victoria.
I went to Centrol last week and the head train controller called it
ASW and that will put me straight.  Say what you want but when the
head train controller calles it that, I give up. It is ASW.

: > The drivers have to take their eyes away from the track to read the ASW unit. as
: > this may take a while to read the message this was deemed to be unsafe.
: > The messages can be long so it wasn't safe.
: >

: But the SAW equipment in locos is not in the driver's line of sight to the track. And
: even if the equipment is on the control panel, the driver has to look down thus
: taking his eyes off the rails with the potential for problems. I personally don't
: think that any system is safe in that case if you only have 1 man in the cab. In a
: two man situation, the other person read out the section names on the electric staff
: etc. It seems that perhaps the only safe system for 1 man operation is CTC where the
: driver is already looking for signals and hence it would be no less safe than now,

: David.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord