Re: New St. Leonards Station

Jonathan Lau wrote in message <374A3D1F.1D161524@ozemail.com.au>...
>The new St. Leonards station is taking shape with 4 platforms being
>constructed. The awnings on the Up side platform are being put in at the
>moment. Anyone know when it will open?

Can't quite answer your question, but am I right in assuming that the new St
Leonards station will be where (most) trains from the new Parramatta
Chatswood line terminate.  Last week I saw a route diagram in a suburban car
indicating this line as going as far as St Leonards.  It appears that there
will be four tracks between Chatswood and St Leonards, utilising the wide
embankments and cuttings and overhead masts which made provision for this
improvement over 70 years ago.
There will obviously have to be some overbridge and underbridge
augmentation, but this work would be relatively minor.  Chatswood will need
two additional platforms (probably the one now out of use will be
re-instated), though I think Artarmon will possibly get by with its existing
station, the additional lines will probably by-pass the platform.  I also
noted some major work going on between Chatswood and Artarmon in the earthen
cutting, with pre-cast concrete panels being used to shore up the walls.  No
doubt this work is in preparation for the laying of the two extra tracks.

Regards
DavidBennetts
Canberra