Re: Incident At Hornsby 11/5/99

Paul Hogan <pghogan@NOSPAMbigpond.com> wrote in message
rK2%2.30445$MB3.46342@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:rK2%2.30445$MB3.46342@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Ben Staples wrote
>
> Snip......
>
> I have it on reasonably good authority that the circuit breakers did what
> they are designed to do if a train "pulls" the power - automatically reset
> after the first trip. It was this subsequent reset that did most of the
> damage.

As with all high-voltage power-line protection, the substaiton
circuit-breakers are set to reclose twice automatically. If they trip a
third time, they will stay out until manually reset. This allows for
transient faults, several trains starting at once, lightning strikes etc.

Did it really take from 2015h to 2100h to get the power isolated manually?

Ron BEST