Re: Incident At Hornsby 11/5/99

Ben Staples wrote

>I have not seen the wire you have described, but what I heard is that the
>cityrail EMU left Hornsby Maintenance Centre (HMC) with a defective
>pantograph. At platform 2 it made an executive decision to start tearing
>down the overhead.

To set the record straight, the train was actually entering No 3 platform
(Up Main) , and the pantograph
became entangled under the footbridge at the northern end of the station.

 >The SRA should/will be responsible for the damage to the
>overhead, but if it can be shown RAC infrastructure caused the extra damage
>because the breakers didn't trip, they will have to pay the SRA for the
>damage caused to their EMU

I have it on reasonably good authority that the circuit breakers did what
they are designed to do if a train "pulls" the power - automatically reset
after the first trip. It was this subsequent reset that did most of the
damage.

Cheers,

Paul Hogan