Re: Incident At Hornsby 11/5/99

Stuart Ellis <mpp@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message

**SNIP**

> I was told that the overhead was re- energized at about 4 am this
> morning. I believe the damage was extensive with a fair amount of damage
> to the station wiring and caused switchboards to literally melt under
> the fault. Anyone else who knows a bit more I would also like to hear
> about it.

I have not seen the wire you have described, but what I heard is that the
cityrail EMU left Hornsby Maintenance Centre (HMC) with a defective
pantograph. At platform 2 it made an executive decision to start tearing
down the overhead. The SRA should/will be responsible for the damage to the
overhead, but if it can be shown RAC infrastructure caused the extra damage
because the breakers didn't trip, they will have to pay the SRA for the
damage caused to their EMU. SRA pays for RAC damage and RAC pays for SRA
damage. That seems fair.

Ben Staples