Re: ATTN DAVID B RE 32'S IN TIBET

Lambing Flat wrote:
A truly fascinating photograph, Simon.  Was this taken recently or during the
1957 tour of Sth East Asia and Australasia of this famous loco and its train?  It
is a little known fact that 4472 "Flying Scotsman" was not the first British
locomotive to visit Australia, as Thomas, during the above tour in 1957, also
graced the rails of (standard gauge) Australia.  The tour passed remarkably
un-noticed at the time, as the TV series that rocketed this small blue engine to
world wide fame was still many years in the future.  However, amongst the
literate minority of railway enthusiasts of the time who were aware of the
history behind this now famous locomotive icon, the tour was a time of great
rejoicing.  Sadly, photos are few and far between, so this interesting footnote
to Australian railway history has, until now, passed un-recorded except in the
fading memories of the fortunate few who witnessed this wonderful event.

Really James? Was it 1957? I thought it happened at the same time that the Queen and her cranky consort visited in 1954 as I have clear a recollection of this loco acting as pilot for the royal train. In fact you were on the buffer beam at one stage were you not?

--
The Coramba Creek Timber Company's Railway
Web Page: