Re: ATTN DAVID B RE 32'S IN TIBET

dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote in aus.rail:

>We could always get the 32 and fill the tender with it.
>
>Better still, we could convert it from coal burning to scotch burning.

Didn't they try that once before on the West Highland Railway in
Scotland, not as fuel but as a water additive?

The idea was that alcohol in water lowers its boiling temperature
meaning that less heat would be needed to generate steam. It believe
it was a partial success; they used far less coal and water, but the
driver and fireman weren't too sober by the time train got to Kyle.
Not that they were drinking the water but it was due to inhaling the
steam.

Something about a Clayton's whisky that'll do it to ya every time.....

Les Brown (;-)