Re: Safeworking the safe way

David Langley wrote in message <3736DA1C.D6D1763C@ancc.com.au>...
>Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:
>
>> : Fawkner to Upfield is no longer Staff & Ticket
>>
>> Am I right in saying that Upfield to Somerton is Staff but No ticket?
>> I know that you need about 3 or 4 different people to say you can use
>> the line.
>
>At Fawkner there is a baulk "on No 1 track at a point 20 metres from the
end of the
>track. The new length of No 1 track is 165 metres." That suggests that they
don't
>want you to run a train through there but it to my knowledge has not been
closed.

>With respect to this line a recent circular says that following track work
in the
>Ford's Siding area, sg train may again run there with out referring to the
Special
>Speed Restrictions. That sounds like we may see trains there again in the
future.
>Does anyone have any knowledge about this?
>
>David Langley.

When Ford stopped the parts train from North Shore to Broadmeadows, they
replaced the service with B Doubles and later B triples!
The trucks are run 24 hours and clock up incredibly high mileage's, and high
maintenance costs etc., made Ford rethink this service.
The story around Dynon at the time [about 6 years ago] was that Ford tried
to return the parts to rail ! and V/Line told them to bugger off !!
Well that's the way I heard it anyhow...
N.R. are interested in running car trains to Brisbane again, and TNT are
getting to like the idea as well>
Rod