Re: Victorian Interstate Corridors

In article <37382045.801E7D3B@ancc.com.au> David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> writes:
>From: David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Victorian Interstate Corridors
>Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:19:17 +1000

>Maurie Daly wrote:

>> >Sim Street Jn (was Sth Dynon Junction)

>No its still South Dynon Junction (officially) despite what people call it.

>> to West Footscray Junction is a
>> >vexatious bit of line with ARTC, VicTrack and FV all with an interest
>> >in the track there.  One piece of idle speculation I've heard is that
>> >FV will take over the down line and ARTC the Up line, each ripping out
>> >the unwanted third rail.

>I would think not at all. Its control is still from the one place West Tower.
>There is no reason why
>ARTC and VicTrack could not agree regarding supervision, FV are merely buying
>track access.

Are you sure about this.
My understanding was that FV got an exclusive 15 year lease on all the non
electrified  track,excepting the SG bits, thats not the same as buying track
access.
Obviously dual guage track will be a thorny one.
The problem with sharing track in a commercial environment is who pays to
maintain it (the dual guage bits that is) ,who is responsible for derailments
, if delays are caused to one operator by the actions of another operator who
may be a competitor how are the compensation issues handled.
All of this is new stuff in the privatised Rail world we live in.

MD