Re: Railways in the budget

Reuben Farrelly wrote in message <37380858.85E1A07F@mira.net.AAAA>...
>Well, I've just heard the budget live on the ABC and the bit about
>railways is just below the dotted lines:
>
>----------
>
>----------
>
>Now, from the Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au):
>
>"Funding boosts for the three years beginning in 1999-2000 for:
>* EXTRA funds for roads and bridges construction and repair – $167
>million;"
>[more budgeted for the next 3-4 years]
>
>The plan being to upgrade our rural roads and bridges so that they can
>sustain the use of heavier trucks on the roads.
>

>Good stuff, Mr. Costello.  Show us how much you care!
>

>Reuben

Yes, only to be expected from a Government which seems to have no integrated
Transport policies, the underfunding of railway infrastructure just goes on
and on.  One exception is Queensland, where the state government delivers on
infrastructure improvements.

We'll end up with more B doubles and road trains, too bad about the road
accident rate, which we just passively accept, and the relative poor energy
efficiency of pneumatic tyres versus steel wheels on steel rails.

Regards

David Bennetts