Re: One Saturday in Melbourne

>>I guess the same could be said for Countrylink and Sydney Swans although
>not
>>much fear of that I suspect!
>
>Bastard! Ooops, I can see now that you are referring to Countrylink, and
NOT
>the chances of the Swans making the finals.

Heh, heh, heh, you were right on BOTH counts.

>Although now that Open Access is all the go, what is to stop GSR from
>running a train? they could run the stock empty to Sydney and run it as a
>full load from Sydney to Melbourne - vice versa on the return.

or West Coast or even Hoys for that matter. The main problem for both of
these would probably be crewing I would imagine (WCR could use one of their
sleepers but the Vline crews I believe they still use may not be too happy)
plus if RAC charges 'outsiders' like a wounded bull as has been alleged,
perhaps this too might be a problem.

>>What have Countrylink done to cash in on football and Sydney Swans? I know
>>that AFL has been slowly taking off in Sydney so surely there must have
>been
>>some effect on CLs sales?
>
>Not a thing - most visitting supporters charter coaches so they can travel
>as a group, and similarly when the Swans play outside Sydney. I actually
>suggested to Countrylink that they should set aside a whole carriage (Car
>G - the XFH - would be a good one) as a supporters carriage - get it decked
>out in red and white streamers, etc., contact the Swans and make sure
>everyone knew about it - they would fill it, as it only has 52 seats.
>Countrylinks response? "Oh, we could not do that, it would be full of
>drunks!"

And the difference is? Plus if the drunks are paying a premium fare, who
cares. (I suppose the difference then would be the current drunks / other
drug abusers are riding free / cheap)