Re: One Saturday in Melbourne

Michael Walker wrote in message <922713823.338953@woody.hotkey.net.au>...

>I guess the same could be said for Countrylink and Sydney Swans although
not
>much fear of that I suspect!

Bastard! Ooops, I can see now that you are referring to Countrylink, and NOT
the chances of the Swans making the finals.

>Or perhaps given the complaints about customer service on this ng and the
>fact that the enhanced services would only be buses anyway despite probably
>being able to fill another XPT and then some given the Adelaide experience
>with The Overland, perhaps Countrylink aren't that interested anyway?

Although now that Open Access is all the go, what is to stop GSR from
running a train? they could run the stock empty to Sydney and run it as a
full load from Sydney to Melbourne - vice versa on the return.

>What have Countrylink done to cash in on football and Sydney Swans? I know
>that AFL has been slowly taking off in Sydney so surely there must have
been
>some effect on CLs sales?

Not a thing - most visitting supporters charter coaches so they can travel
as a group, and similarly when the Swans play outside Sydney. I actually
suggested to Countrylink that they should set aside a whole carriage (Car
G - the XFH - would be a good one) as a supporters carriage - get it decked
out in red and white streamers, etc., contact the Swans and make sure
everyone knew about it - they would fill it, as it only has 52 seats.
Countrylinks response? "Oh, we could not do that, it would be full of
drunks!"

DaveP