Re: Signalling in Victoria

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> On the up why do you have two homes before Greensborough? Is that
> distant signal fixed as well?
>
> --
> Chris Gordon
> http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

Greensborough was an interesting station before the double line from Mcleod was
installed.
To my knowledge, it was the only single line station in Victoria to have outer
homes and
starting signals at both ends.
This was done so that trains could be shunted to and from the sidings (now
removed)
without requiring the main line sections to be clear.
When the double line was installed,  light signals were installed.
The up end received 3-position signalling; the down end had the semaphores
replaced
with 2-position searchlight signals.
For a time, there was a disc under the up home signal.
I assume the up outer home was retained for shunting purposes, although such moves
would be rather difficult with the down starter removed.
By the way, the distance from the up distant to the outer home is much less than
braking distance!

 John McCallum