Re: Signalling in Victoria

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7dn3b2$jkt$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7dn3b2$jkt$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> : Yes, the showgrounds line was a unique one. There was a  light disc or
dwarf,
> : can't remember which on the same post as a home. I remember discussing
how you
> : can have a light "disc"!
>
> The way I see it is the Home was for the main line (up starting from the
> showgrounds platform) and the disc is for the siding.  But the disc is
like
> a calling on signal (nothing or yellow) but applies for a different road
> to the home above.
>
> So I would say that it is a calling on signal, but a different road to the
> home signal (hence the 'siding' sign)

AFAIK the post has 2 signal upon it:
Up Home platform to Up line
Up Dwarf into siding.(with the siding sign)

The practice of having a dwarf on the same post as a light 2 position signal
is something of a Victorian quirk.  If it was a purely mechanical post, the
signal into the siding would be a Disc. But if it was a Light post, then it
became a dwarf.

A good example of the contortions the VR got themselves into with when
installing power 2 position signals can be found at Brookyn Post 5.
Physically it is a Tubular post with a Searchlight at the top, and a
Mechanical disc below, driven by GRS? Motor.  The top 'arm' applies:"Up Home
No. 2 to West Line to Post No. 9", and the disc applies:"From No. 2 to No. 3
& 4 & sidings or along No. 2"  (No. 2 Track and the West line are the one
and same).

Other places where a 2 position Dwarf was on the same post as a home include
Echuca and Newport.  Sunshine  had one for a while, but it was replaced with
a standard 3 pos sign during the resignalling.

The difference between a dwarf on the same post as a home, and a calling on
light, is that the dwarf has a sign on it "Siding".

AFAIK this statement is true: If there is a light signal applying into a
siding on the same post as a Home signal, it is a Dwarf.

B.