Re: ATP

In article <36f34e83.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
  "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the SLR. I was not given the opportunity to inspect the
> drivers cab when I last rode it. It is, however, almost identical to the
> system used on the Westrail/Transperth EMU's although they call it ATP.

I recently travelled on the Transperth EMUs (and what a good system it is)
and noticed that the network was equipped with ATP, although I was unable to
view the drivers' cab through the very heavily tinted windows :(. As for SLR,
the man machine interface consists of an array of buttons (including a
digital keypad), and a small LCD display. The LCD display can show a text
message (such as SPEED or SIGNAL), a target speed, and a target distance.

The balises/transponders on the Transperth system were arranged in pairs in
the same way as they are on SLR, but looked different, Transperth's balises
are smaller and a shiny grey/black colour, SLR's balises are the same yellow
tile- like design as is used in much of Europe as well as the Liverpool to
Campbelltown (NSW) test system.

> Actually, ATP is the correct term.

That depends on who's definition you use! Some definitions consider that if
the system displays a target speed and target distance (as opposed to a
driver knowing the line speed based upon route knowledge and lineside
signals) it is an ATC system. Other definitions state that an ATC system must
be capable of controlling the acceleration and deceleration of a train
without driver intervention.