Re: Covered motorail

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:42:07 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Around 1980, some covered motorail wagons were buily in Sydney, supposedly
>for the Southern Aurora. They were completely covered to prevent the cars
>from getting dirty.
>
>The only problem was that they were built 4.3m high, to the double deck
>
>Who built them and what happened to them?
>
>Cheers
>David

According to "Railway Freight Wagons In NSW 1982" by John
Beckhaus,,P.51, MBY 2585 / 2586 were *rebuilt* by Goninan during 1978
as fully enclosed MotoRail wagons but the cladding was removed in 1981
before the wagons entered MotoRail service. The freight version wagons
were "NMKX wagons with a total of 64 units and a height of 3.52m

I am not sure if these wagons are what you are talking about? I just
did a search in the NSW freight wagon book.

Cheers
Peter Cokley