Re: Photograph of 48137 in R.D.

In article <36f226b5.758086@news.chariot.net.au>,
  chester@chariot.net.au (Chester) wrote:
> I have a question about the photograph of FreightCorp locomotive 48137
> on page 19 of Railway Digest March 1999, the locomotive carries the
> number 28 in blue on a red box just above the front panted numbers.
> Why is that number there and what use does it serve?
>
> Thank you
> David Chester (chester@chariot.net.au)

The number in the "orange" box you are refering to is on the front of all
Hunter Valley coal trains. It is the unit train number. This is the same
number as the rake of wagons. It is not painted on but is a magnetic backed
sign that is swapped as the locomotives are changed on the train. The number
allows the dump station operators to identify which train is approching them.
These people are not railway employees and the locomotive number means
nothing to them. Cheers Bob