Re: ATP

In article <36f23915.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
  "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote:

> mcfergus@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
>
> I will explain what I know of ATP. This is how it is supposed to work as I
> understand it but they seem to be having much problems with it at the
> moment.
>
> ATP is the Westinghouse continuous Automatic Train Protection system being
> introduced to QR's diesel locomotive, tilt train and soon, IMU fleet. It
> performs a similar task to the Ericsson Automatic Train Control system
> fitted to 3900 class electric locomotives and ICE units.
>
> Both ATC and ATP are cab based computer systems designed to receive
> information about the track geography, signal aspects and temporary
> worksites etc. and keep the speed of the train in check accordingly. The two
> systems differ in many ways. ATC is manufactured by Ericsson and is regarded
> as "intermittent". Information can only be fed to the locomotive by means of
> track mounted beacon groups. The drivers ATC displays show what speed you
> should be doing now and if required to slow down, what speed you must slow
> down to.

<snip>

Thanks for the detailed info! The Ericsson system (now ADtranz Ebicab) sounds
like the same one that is used on SLR here in Sydney, although maybe a
different version. The Westinghouse system sounds similar to the Level 2
version of ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System). Radio based
signalling is generally seen to be the way of the future for mainline railway
signalling schemes, so it will be interesting to see how able Westinghouse is
to succesfully implement the project.

> Regards
>
> Matt Smith
> Brisbane, Queensland