Re: Fixing the Nth Coast Line.

John Cleverdon wrote:

> Barry Campbell wrote:
>
> > arthur marsh wrote:
> > >
> > <snip>
>
> > After my last post on this subject I did think of the upgrade of the
> > inland route. It would require a new crossing of the Little Liverpool
> > Range (Which is in reality a small row of hills) in Queensland and a new
> > ascent of the Great Divide to Toowoomba (Unfortunately reviving the Via
> > Recta would be too much to hope for), both of which QR will probably
> > have to do anyway. In NSW the real Liverpool Range north of Murrurrundi
> > would have to be fixed. Even then you still have the problem for Syd -
> > Bris traffic that the railway goes via Newcastle which wastes a lot of
> > time and fuel. Having said that, the inland route should be built anyway
> > for Mel - Bris traffic.
> >
> > Barry Campbell
>
> AFAIK, there has been interest in a Liverpool tunnel for a while, particularly
> WRT the coal mines in the Gunnedah area. The same can be said for tunnels under
> the Little Liverpool and Main Ranges btwn Brisbane and Toowoomba.  But then,
> like all major railway improvements - "I'll believe it when I see it".
> On the inland route, it would also be a good idea to build new lines bypassing
> Goondiwindi and Warwick (*if* going via Narrabri & Moree - would the longer
> distance - but easier terrain - provide competitive times as comapared to the
> route via Wallangarra?)
>
> OTOH, building a long tunnel under Richmond Gap (NSW/QLD border) would save a
> bit of time, as it would take out the Border Loop. Alternatively, why not a SG
> link from Murwillumbah to Brisbane??.....this could pick up traffic from the
> Gold Coast.

No hope of that, on tonight's news the opposition leader walking through a local
shopping centre was reported as saying if they get into gov on the 27th they will
invite expression of interest for extending the SG from Murrwillumbah to
Coolangatta.Hope they should also think about dual gauging it to at least South
Tweed from Coolangatta Or if we dreamed a little why not have a transport corridor
that follows the Yellgun Chindera Pacific hwy bypass  that's supposed to be started
shortly costing approx. $250 million and to think the Fed's  $250 million over 4
years on all  Australia railway lines is okay