Re: Fixing the Nth Coast Line.

arthur marsh wrote:

> Philip Laird has proposed some "simple" alignment improvements that would
> take out the superfluous curves and gradients, particularly where curves
> and gradients are in combination.
>
> You can contact him at philip_laird@uow.edu.au
>
> Of course a SG line west of the great dividing range from say Moree into
> Queensland would have its uses.

After my last post on this subject I did think of the upgrade of the
inland route. It would require a new crossing of the Little Liverpool
Range (Which is in reality a small row of hills) in Queensland and a new
ascent of the Great Divide to Toowoomba (Unfortunately reviving the Via
Recta would be too much to hope for), both of which QR will probably
have to do anyway. In NSW the real Liverpool Range north of Murrurrundi
would have to be fixed. Even then you still have the problem for Syd -
Bris traffic that the railway goes via Newcastle which wastes a lot of
time and fuel. Having said that, the inland route should be built anyway
for Mel - Bris traffic.

Barry Campbell