Re: CC class in Sydney Rd

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:47:14 +1000, John Cleverdon <johnc@cdi.com.au>
wrote:

>Jennifer Richmond wrote:
>
>> While standing on the corner of Sydney Rd and Bell St in Coburg
>> yesterday (Thur), I saw a very curious sight. There was a lo loader
>> vehicle turning the corner from Bell St (was heading west) into Sydney
>> Rd (northbound). On the back o this, there was a railway locomotive,
>> which looked similar to a DH class. It was white and mustard coloured
>> with "COOKS CONSTRUCTION" and a telephone number on the side. The number
>> plates had it classified as CC04.
>> Someone might be able to help with these questions:
>> - Where is it based?
>
>The CC class (CC1-6) are based at Yallourn.

Past tense, unfortunately.  The contract went to another company, and
the ex-DH class locos are en-route to the sugar cane railways, I
think.

>> - Where was it going?
>> - Why was it going there?
>
>I don't know, although I have heard unconfirmed rumours that Cooks had lost
>(or was to lose) the contract to transport the coal. CC5 and 6 were sold
>again more recently, to Tully sugar mill (many of the DH's were sold to
>sugar mills and regauged).
>If anyone knows what is going on, can they please email me so that I can
>update Locopage.

It's not a rumor, the change of contract has already happened.  I can
check out my RNVs tonight if nobody posts the definitive answer
sooner.

JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html