Re: CC class in Sydney Rd

Jennifer Richmond wrote:

> While standing on the corner of Sydney Rd and Bell St in Coburg
> yesterday (Thur), I saw a very curious sight. There was a lo loader
> vehicle turning the corner from Bell St (was heading west) into Sydney
> Rd (northbound). On the back o this, there was a railway locomotive,
> which looked similar to a DH class. It was white and mustard coloured
> with "COOKS CONSTRUCTION" and a telephone number on the side. The number
> plates had it classified as CC04.
> Someone might be able to help with these questions:
> - Where is it based?

The CC class (CC1-6) are based at Yallourn.

> - What is it used for?

They work over the Interconnecting Railway (ICR) carrying coal from the coal
loader at the Yallourn coal mine to the Morwell briquette plant (this used
to be electric until these locos were introduced in 1993).

> - It looked like about 2'6" gauge, is that correct?

It was originally narrow gauge (3'6" or 1067mm) in Queensland, when they
came to Victoria, they were converted to 900 mm (approx 3', the gauge of the
ICR).

> - Who are Cooks Construction?

When the SECV was broken up and flogged off etc., Cooks Construction (a
private company) won the contract for running (and maintaining) the ICR. All
the remaining electric locos were withdrawn, and the 6 ex-QR DH class were
bought to replace them.

> - Where was it going?
> - Why was it going there?

I don't know, although I have heard unconfirmed rumours that Cooks had lost
(or was to lose) the contract to transport the coal. CC5 and 6 were sold
again more recently, to Tully sugar mill (many of the DH's were sold to
sugar mills and regauged).
If anyone knows what is going on, can they please email me so that I can
update Locopage.

For more information on the former SECV loco fleet, go to:
http://www.railpage.org.au/loco/private2.html#SECV

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers