Re: BLs vs NRs

From: "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au>
To: <ausrail@railpage.org.au>
Subject: Re: BLs vs NRS
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:27:41 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au>
Newsgroups: aus.rail
Date: Wednesday, 17 March 1999 13:39

>Grahame Ferguson (grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au) wrote:
>> In days gone by the motive power  for the IP was :
>> 2x46 class later 2x86 class Sydney to Lithgow
>> 2x44 class Lithgow to Parkes
>> 1x44 class Parkes to Broken Hill
>> 1x600 or 1x700 class Broken Hill to Pt Pirie
>> 1xGM12 or 2xGM1s Pt Pirie to Kalgoorlie
>
>When I travelled from Sydney to Adelaide in 1990 it was 2x86 to Lithgow,
>2x80 to Broken Hill and 2xGM12 to Adelaide.

1x80 usually did the Parkes to Broken Hill section, except when the IP was
very late or for engine balancing purposes.  I have seen 3x80s ex Broken
Hill.  Pre 1978 1xGM12 ran the IP from Port Pirie to Kalgoorlie, until
2xGM1s ran it until the arrival fo the DLs.
>> Basically 1 BL could do the job west of Lithgow or a single DL could haul
>> the IP west of Parkes.  A DL has a higher gear ratio than a BL.
>
>The idea was 2xDL Sydney to Adelaide to keep the fleet together. It
>doesn't make sense to leave one loco in Parkes or Lithgow for 3 days.
>
>Cheers
>David

I think that it should be 2xDLs Sydney to Adelaide, just as was done with
the CLPs.  One CLP was off line from Adelaide to Parkes and return.
One CLP made the trip to Perth  Terminal, but needed a Westrail loco to tow
it between Forrestfield and the Terminal, which would be the case with a DL.
The DLs have a high gear ratio (67:22) giving it a maximum speed of 154km/h.
The BLs have a lower gear ratio(61:16) with a 120 km/h maximum, but higher
tractive effort at lower speed than a DL.
A GM12 was allowed a maximum tonnage for a passenger Train from Adelaide to
Broken Hill of 650 tonnes. A DL is allowed 1300 tonnes.
A single DL would always be better, but the problem is always in turning it
around at Sydney and Perth. It would use less fuel than a BL.
A turntable at Perth Terminal is possible but expensive.
>From Parkes to Perth any medium powered(1600-2000hp) locomotive could do the
job.  1x44 class ran the IP at 110km/h from Parkes to Broken Hill quite
easily. Lighter locos have a higher permissible maximum speed. It was those
useless staff and ticket loops, stopping in the middle of nowhere with no
train to cross, (sometimes for the entire Pks-BkH section) that slowed it
down.
2xGM1s on the IP or Trans, use to kill the old timetable between Port Pirie
and Kalgoorlie, you were always early into Kalgoorlie westbound and early in
Port Augusta or Port Pirie eastbound.
A C class with its 59:18 gear ratio, large fuel tank, and bi-directional
ability (if a two man crew) 3000hp engine, would be great if it were not for
its heavy weight, that restricts it on poor track. The L class would be in a
similiar position in Victoria or NSW.
At the moment I guess the IP is stuck with the NRs.
But a DL on the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs is not a problem.