Re: GEs for Victoria?

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 18:03:44 +0800, "David & Jan Winter" <

>GE certainly have given EMD cause for concern in the North American market.
>I'm not sure Goninan have had quite the same effect on Clyde - more the
>tendering system has the impact of creating winners and destroying losers
>with the net effect that next order, there'll be no competition - and the
>issuer of tenders loses. NR should've supported Aussie industry (as should
>all buyer/leasers) with a long term 50-50% build split. That's the true
>win:win outcome, but government silliness has precluded it.

NR made a commercial decision to duy GEs. Why would they split an
order and create two sets of everything - maintainence contracts,
spares, operating specifications, etc? Whether we like GEs or not
splitting the order would have begun to recreate the old railway
problem of government interference and trying to appease every
interest group and forgetting about what is best for the railway.

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.