Re: Ararat BG connections

>Apologies, I was working from memory. My Weston Langford books are not
>usually brought to work. :)

>>                                                        SG Maryborough
>>                    --------------------\              /
>>                   /                     \------------/  /TT lead (BG)
>>                  /                       \             /
>>                 /  ====================   \
>> Dimboola  -----/---------------------------\     ====== BG to Ballarat
>>                  Ararat Sta.                \
>>                                              \------------- Maroona SG

>> To reconnect to Ararat station would mean crossing the siding lead b/w
>> the Maroona line and the Maryborough line, then joining and dual
>> gauging the station road;

>Alternative: Cross the Maroona line and use the old back platform, if the
>relocated signal box allows it. Less complex dual gauge trackwork. This
>also means that if passenger services were ever reinstated, you can have a
>cross-platform connection to a sg train to Horsham or Dimboola.

>> FV would probably better off paying for construction of the third arm
>> of a triangle at Maroona to enable trains to move directly from
>> Gheringhap to Portland without a reversing move.

>This was supposed to happen when the line was regauged, but the
>predictable arguments between V/Line and the feds over who would pay for
>it killed it. When Ararat - Maryborough was regauged, Ararat was also to
>have become a triangular junction.

>Cheers
>David

The back platform idea is the best one , as its the simplest,but from memory
the back platform is very short, only capable of maybe 2 or 3 cars plus loco.
Also no run around is possible which means push -pull operation ,unless one of
the former BG tracks is brought back into service.
Safeworking will be a nightmare whilst ASW exists,especially if shunts are
necessary over the SG tracks.
Things will get even worse when Train control moves to Adelaide and we get
some sort of ARTC style train orders.
A better solution safeworking wise would be to extend the existing CTC from
pyreenees loop thru ararat yard to the up end ,so that Ararat was operated as
Dimboola or Murtoa now is , ie a junction and grade crossing in the middle of
a single line CTC section.
A train order would still be needed to proceed in the up direction beyond the
limits of Ararat yard,and a local panel could be installed in the station
building.
As to who pays , would be up to who gets the benefit ,and I suspect that this
will have to be who ever wants to run pass trains to Ararat.

cheers
MD