Re: See R711's tyres being manufactured!- Why not standardise??

David Bromage wrote in message ...
>Grahame Ferguson (grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au) wrote:
>>     With all this expense on R711 wheels has any thought being given to
>> conversion to standard gauge?  Because in Victoria the writing is now on
the
>> wall!!- the Standard Gauge will invade!!
>
>An R might be converted one day, but it won't be R711. Maybe R700 or R753.
>
>>     The point is that an R class is the easiest(not easy) to convert to
>> standard gauge of any Victorian locomotive, they were designed to be
>> convertable.
>
>Actually a J might be easier to convert.
>
>The problem is that the current and even future sg lines will probably not
>have direct routes to the extremities. It will be circuitous to get
>anywhere and ahrd to find a pathway, which is not going to endear a trip
>to the general public. Best keep the steam locos on broad gauge where you
>can do your day trips to Ballarat and Bendigo with a trainload of
>families. The biennial gunzel trip to Robinvale is probably best done with
>diesel anyway.
>
>Besides, nobody in Victoria has a standard gauge carriage fleet. Once
>you've converted an R, what do you haul with it?
>
>Cheers
>David

Some points to qualify my original posting:-
1. In Richard Flinders reply of 1/3/99 it states that they have easily
convertable ex-SAR steel cars, so there are cars available.
2. Albury, Seymour, & Ararat, are not all on circuitous routes. Nor may
others that will be converted.
3. Eventhough a Steam engine might not easily  be converted to s.g., a
diesel easily can!
4. I reference to money: If we try hard enough and pressure politicians,
which we railfans don't always do, then we may get some money to come our
way.  The Port Dock Museum is getting $500,000 to build a Commonwealth
Railways pavilion.  The Victorian Government got more than it bargained for
in the sale of V/Line Freight.  So there is a source of funds.  The
Government if it sees an organisation already doing a good job will help if
askedand given a reasoned argument.
5. If we don't try and standardise some of our equipment, then we cut off a
source of revenue, so we will never survive, and we all compete in a smaller
marketplace..
6. If families want to have steam train rides close to home for a day ride,
then we are already outmarketed by Puffing Billy.
7. If we want the people of Country Victoria to enjoy steam then we must
standardise.
8. An R is easier to convert than a J.
9. People are willing to go to far away places on th S.G., look at the
recent Portland Tour in which no rail preservation stock could be involved
in.