Re: See R711's tyres being manufactured!- Why not standardise??

In article <36dd32ef.0@nap-ns1>, "Grahame Ferguson"
<grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> wrote:

> David Bromage wrote in message ...
> >Grahame Ferguson (grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au) wrote:
> >>     With all this expense on R711 wheels has any thought being given to
> >> conversion to standard gauge?  Because in Victoria the writing is now on
> the
> >> wall!!- the Standard Gauge will invade!!

Graeme, Steamrail went down this logic path a few years ago, it almost
sent us to the wall.  While we are now trying to be as flexible as we can
with what gauge we end up on, we have no plans to be running regular
trains on the gauge in the near future.

> Some points to qualify my original posting:-
> 1. In Richard Flinders reply of 1/3/99 it states that they have easily
> convertable ex-SAR steel cars, so there are cars available.

Hence one of the reasons we purchased them, but not the only one.

> 2. Albury, Seymour, & Ararat, are not all on circuitous routes. Nor may
> others that will be converted.

Albury & Seymour are already covered by BG.  Ararat IS a circuitous route
and a poor track to obtain a path on, with no turning facilities.  THe
nearest TT is Dimboola.

> 3. Eventhough a Steam engine might not easily  be converted to s.g., a
> diesel easily can!

Yes, although bogies are very hard to come by, especially at the right
price.  Also Steamrail manages to run one or two fan oriented diesel trips
a year, there is not much more of a market than that.

> 4. I reference to money:

Yes please, lots of it. :-)

> 5. If we don't try and standardise some of our equipment, then we cut off a
> source of revenue, so we will never survive, and we all compete in a smaller
> marketplace..
> 6. If families want to have steam train rides close to home for a day ride,
> then we are already outmarketed by Puffing Billy.
> 7. If we want the people of Country Victoria to enjoy steam then we must
> standardise.

Steamrail wants to make money to survive and continue its preservation.
We will go wherever the money is, we have to

> 8. An R is easier to convert than a J.

Who knows????

> 9. People are willing to go to far away places on th S.G., look at the
> recent Portland Tour in which no rail preservation stock could be involved
> in.

No as such, fans are willing to go to far away places on any gauge if
nothing has been there in a while, hence the reason the steamrail tour to
Mildura is booking well.
THe other great problem for any preservation group wanting to run SG out
of Melbourne is the lack of depot space.  SG space in Melb is severely
squeezed.  While we will continue to monitor the need to convert to SG, we
will not rush in until the market really does demand it.  I know some
people look forward to the day an R can steam up the blue mountains, I do
too,  but that kind of exercise does not justify the expense of
conversion, regualar traffic does.

--
Stuart Thyer
Photographer-Department of Anatomy