Re: See R711's tyres being manufactured!- Why not standardise??

Stuart Thyer (sthyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au) wrote:
> > 3. Eventhough a Steam engine might not easily  be converted to s.g., a
> > diesel easily can!

> Yes, although bogies are very hard to come by, especially at the right
> price. Also Steamrail manages to run one or two fan oriented diesel trips
> a year, there is not much more of a market than that.

Hence it's cheaper in the long run to hire a sg loco for the day/weekend.

> > 8. An R is easier to convert than a J.

> Who knows????

Everything after the 1920s was designed to be converted. A J would
probably be cheaper because there aren't as many bits, and they are all
easier to get at. An R would need its boiler lifted to be regauged, but I
suspect you could do a J without that. That's why the J has a high boiler
in the first place. ARHS(ACT) seriously considered buying a J for the
Michelago line.

In order of ease of conversion, my guess would be J > N > X > R > H.

> > 9. People are willing to go to far away places on th S.G., look at the
> > recent Portland Tour in which no rail preservation stock could be involved
> > in.

> THe other great problem for any preservation group wanting to run SG out
> of Melbourne is the lack of depot space.  SG space in Melb is severely
> squeezed.

Whatever happened to the Gheringhap proposal? Taking a long term view,
that seemed to have a lot of merit.

> I know some
> people look forward to the day an R can steam up the blue mountains,

En route to Perth, of course. :)

Cheers
David