Re: It's Sold! (The letter to the minister of transport)

David Langley wrote in message <3778B899.9B970DBD@ancc.com.au>...

>In Sydney, I'm surprised that you did not suggest this, you can buy a
ticket
>called (I think) "Intention to Travel"

They are "Authority to Travel" - the idea is that for a nominal sum ($1 is
the minimum) you get a piece of paper showing where you travelled from
(prevents you from saying you travelled from Redfern when you travelled from
Dungog) so that if you ARE challenged and required to pay a fare, it is
indisputable about where you joined the train.

A further factor is that the small sums that are required means that the
machines themselves have very small sums of money in them - this, and the
fact that they are generally located at small, underused stations, reduces
the amount of vandalism to the machines.

>or something similar, and for paying a
>small fare - at Yerrinbool it is $2.50 -  you can travel and then pay the
rest
>of your fare at the end of your journey. Do NSW feel that $2.50 is better
than
>nothing at all although I have observed some stations still check tickets
of
>alighting passengers and so can detect these tickets and extract more
money.
>Beats the heavy handed attitude of "No Pay, No Go" but they go anyway.

DaveP