Re: Bluebirds to Run extra services in SA?

In article <3773701A.4A7357BB@iweb.net.au> Neil Waller <waller@iweb.net.au> writes:
>Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:33:38 +0930
>From: Neil Waller <waller@iweb.net.au>
>Subject: Re: Bluebirds to Run extra services in SA?

>david wrote:

>> Out of interest, could the Adelaide Station cope with "Modern" SQ train lengths
>> ???
>>

>Apparently a full length IP or Ghan is estimated to take about 8 minutes
>to cross over the broad gauge tracks into platform 1 or so our Minister
>of transport said on radio back at Easter time.

>The ex Director of Transport could hardly contain his mirth at the
>suggestion of North Terrace being used for interstate trains.

>And the 8 minutes is, for the IP at least, in peak hours.

>Cheers
>Neil Waller

Only a SA Transport Minister could come up with such a statement.
>From a rough calculation a full length IP,(assuming 25 cars) is 600 M long
and to get into Plat 1 has to cross 4 tracks , the Harbor line plus the Gawler
line assuming a new line is built into Adelaide station .
This means the IP is travelling at 4 km/h whilst crossing the tracks.
One has to wonder how the STA copes with the IP crossing the BG tracks at
Goodwood and at Y junction.

At the risk of asking a rude question , does the SA Govt actually have a rail
policy at all,or do we have a bipartisan policy of getting rid of all trains
from the State ASAP.

cheers
MD